Sunday, June 1, 2008

Personal Revelation

I would consider my life to be as normal as any other student going to School of the Future. I had just entered high school and was trying to make some new friends. My parents had divorced when I was 2 years old and currently live with my mother and younger brother in Brooklyn. Even though we moved around a lot things seemed pretty easy going, I have had plenty of experience in the friendship department so I figured there would be no problem making befriending a few people. Basically I thought high school would be an okay experience. I mean I anticipated the drama to come and tried to prepare myself for anything. I was just kidding myself no one could prepare themselves for the trouble and drama to come. Friendships would be made and them broken. No one can change or predict the events that will occur in their lives, they can only choose how to react to the present.
During the first year of high school as a freshman I was doing okay. I had good grades and had made some friends. It took time to get used to the “high school” environment and how to act now that I had more responsibilities and, as the work got harder. About half way through the year classes were changed, I was separated and put into a different group of kids I had to get used to this new surrounding I was looking at, these kids where my new class whether I liked it or not. It was extremely different because I did not personally know any of the students and none of them were my friends. I felt distant from everyone and everything I knew.
Until the day I met her. At first I wasn’t sure if she was nice because of her attitude I have witnessed earlier in the year. She was always hyper and laughing continuously. As weeks passed I got to know her better and I realized she was okay and was actually fun hanging out with her. Later we became closer working in groups her and on projects.
Soon we became best friends we hung out everyday. We went to lunch together. We gossiped together and made those trips to the bathroom together. When one of us had to go, the other followed without question. Life seemed pretty good I had a really great friend like I had had before we moved. I finally felt in place and wasn’t worried about what other people thought of me because I knew I had a friend to back me up whenever I needed help and I would do the same for her.
Although later in the year I started noticing how she treated me, especially when I was with her and she saw her other friends walking over. Her attitude changed and she started to ignore me. Each time it got worse. Once when I was talking to her she saw her friends walking toward her and then she completely ignored me and walked away.
It was at that point i realized she was not my real friend. She was not nice to me. She used me.

No comments: